Our wider aims are that the results and outputs from the project will be assimilated into future International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports and fully exploited by the wider Surface Ocean and Lower Atmosphere Study (SOLAS) community.
All of this work will exploit the synergistic use of satellite Earth observation (EO) data, in situ data and models. The work will also extensively involve and exploit data from SOCAT.
The outputs from this study are expected to include:
- An updated OceanFlux air-sea CO2 climatology with EO derived gas transfer velocity.
- Improvements to the FluxEngine and its use in a community ensemble experiment.
- Suite of datasets for the international SOLAS community to access and exploit (with uncertainty estimates).
- A number of key peer reviewed publications.
- An international scientific workshop.
- A clear roadmap for future ESA involvement in future SOLAS-related studies.